Thursday, May 22, 2008

Vegetarian, a matter of choice

I would like to share my experience on taking vegetarian food mentioned in Ian's previous posting. Since two years back, I decided that I will refrain from animal's meatfrom midnight till 5pm daily. I try to keep to this regime except for very special occasions.

How did I get started? My Master ever commented, for each meat meal, we would consume the meat of at least one living being. So assuming we live for 60 years and take meals with meats 3 times a day, that works out to be 65,700 living beings. Few days back, I saw an advertisement on medical checkup, it said, the amount of meat each adult consume on the average is roughly about his/her body weight. It is also evident that many health problems are associated to the consumption of animal flesh and meat products. So whether it is for the sake of health or reduction in negative karma, I think that was a decision I have made.

I can tell you that it is not easy to stick to this regime. My family, friends and colleagues were amused by my insistence initially and it did posed problems when we dined together. I told myself to minimise any inconvenience to people around me by not insisting on pure vegetarian eating outlets but really refrain from meat. Over time, they have learnt to respect my choice and even my wife follows my regime on weekends.

Hope I have not scare anyone by the numbers. Just hope that each of us carry less 'burdens (negative karma)" with us when we are done with this lifetime.

Namo Amituofo!

No comments:

Post a Comment