Friday, March 20, 2009

Abortion From A Buddhism Perspective

My friend recently told me that she had an abortion. Upon hearing this news, I was sad for both the baby and my friend. The baby missed a chance to be born as a human and to be able to listen to Buddha Dharma. My friend did a heavy karma by doing an abortion.

So I told her about her wrong doing and advised her to repent and read the "Dharani Sutra of the Buddha on Longevity, The Extinction of Offences And the Protection of Young Children".

Below are related passages from that particular sutra. To read the whole sutra, please go to BuddhaSutra.com, or simply click on the link in the previous paragraph.

(begin quote)

When The Buddha was in the world, there was Laywoman by the name Confusion. She was practising the Buddha Dharma in her home life. She begged The Buddha to allow her to leave the home life. Sorrowfully she cried to The Buddha, "World Honoured One, I have created deep and evil karma. I am regretful of my evil conduct, and seek to repent my offences. I hope to reform, in order to lead a life of goodness. I only hope The World Honoured One will bestow kindness upon me and listen to the details!"

"My circumstance is such that my family's condition does not allow me to bear any children. That is why I used medicine to murder the foetus, which was fully eight months old. The foetus that I aborted was fully grown with four healthy limbs and was complete with a human form."

"Later I met with a wise man who told me, 'People who have purposely aborted the foetus will be infected with serious illnesses in the present lifespan and receive the retribution of a short lifespan with very little blessing. After they have passed away, they will fall into the Avici Hell to experience terribly acute sufferings'."

"After listen to that, I was very frightened and I deeply regret what I have done. I only hope that the World Honoured One, with your strength of great kindness and compassion, will save me from falling into the deep pit. Please tell me the ways of liberation. Do allow me to leave the home life, so as to not undergo such acute sufferings."

The Thus Come One of Pervasive Lights and Proper Views said to Confusion, "There are five kinds of Evil Karma which are difficult to extinguish, even if one were to repent of them. What are the five kinds of offences? The first one is killing the father, the second one is killing the mother, the third one is abortion, the fourth one is to injure The Buddha, the fifth one is to create disharmony among the Sangha assemblies. These five types of evil and sinful karma are difficult to extinguish."

.....

As you are able to repent sincerely before me, I will of course teach you The Sutra of Longevity and The Extinction of Offences, in order to free you from the suffering of being chased and caught by the evil ghost of impermanence."

"Confusion, let me tell you. In the future World of Five Turbidities, if there are people who kill the father, harm the mother, who purposely abort the foetus, who destroy The Buddha's Pagoda and Temple…"

"Who shed The Buddha's Blood, who create disharmony among The Sangha and others, they have created the five unwholesome deep offences and will surely fall into the Uninterrupted Hell to suffer the acute torments."

"If these beings who have committed the five unwholesome offences are able to accept, uphold this Sutra of Longevity and The Extinction of Offences, to write it down, read and memorize it, or copy it down by themselves, or ask others to copy the Sutra, they will be able to put an end to their offences, and be born in the Brahman Heaven to enjoy the heavenly blessing."

(end quote)


I begged her to wholeheartedly read the entire sutra and act accordingly. Hoping that she could wash away her great offense and not fall into hell realm after this life.

Besides cleansing the karma of abortion, this sutra when recited also helps protect young children during birth and infancy. It also grants longevity to those who are sick. This is a wonderful dharani sutra and we must be grateful to Sakyamuni Buddha's compassion for telling it.

So please, download and keep this sutra. By giving this sutra to those who need it, is the least that we can do to help yet brings the greatest merit.

Amituofo!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post Ian!

    I will share the "Dharani Sutra of the Buddha on Longevity, The Extinction of Offences And the Protection of Young Children" to the Sangha here.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this blog~ :D

    ReplyDelete